Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Eyeshadow Palette Review + Swatches - January 2016

Wednesday, January 27, 2016




Hey everyone. I have been very excited about this post because this palette I'll be reviewing today has had so much hype and it feels like so many people are talking about it. Of course, it's the Gwen Stefani Eyeshadow palette from Urban Decay. It retails at £40 so it's in the same price range as their Naked palettes, but, is it as iconic?



The palette has 15 shades in a variety of finishes and quite a variety of colours too; lots of neutrals but also a couple of brights for a more fun/dramatic look. For this reason, it has already been tipped as this year's Glastonbury palette for me - I only like to take one and it has to cover all bases. This palette can do everyday natural, warm shimmers, classic smokey and crazy colourful looks - for me, it's the most versatile palette I have which isn't a 30+ shadow make up artist palette (which I would avoid taking to a festival, personally).

The packaging is stunning - really sturdy with a huge mirror and just happens to be my favourite colour scheme of black, white and gold.




Now, Urban Decay has become a bit of a by-word for high quality eye shadow thanks to the likes of the Naked palettes. I don't actually own any Naked palettes (pick your jaw up off the floor, it's okay, it's not beauty law, yet...) so I was actually going in to this blind but with high hopes.

First Row - Blonde, Bathwater, Skimp, Steady, Punk

The shadows, for the most part, are very good quality. The matte shades have quite a stiff texture but with virtually zero fall out (with the exception of Skimp which is a powdery little soul) and they give you a lot of control to gradually build up colour. The pearl/metallic shades are more buttery but with a little fall out. Only one shade really stands out as being poor and that is Pop - very glittery, hard to work with and uneven - I'm not a fan and I haven't a read a review so far that doesn't agree with me.

Second Row - Baby, Anaheim, Stark, Zone, Serious

So, taking Pop out of the equation, all of the shades are very easy to blend and they wear well even without an eye primer. I have to give a special mention to the most perfect crease/transition shades - the middle three: Anaheim, Stark and Zone - one cool toned brown, one warm toned brown and one light peach/beige blending shade. They are the cornerstone of this palette for me.

I also have a great love for the neutral metallic shades, Steady and Baby - very smooth and wearable, not a foiled finish but just a beautiful glimmer in rose gold tones. The highlight shades give you some options too - you can go for satin finish (Blonde), matte (Skimp, but beware of powder) or shimmer shimmer (Bathwater). Plus you get a strong matte black to work with as well as a couple of other dark mattes to deepen the outer crease. It's a very well balanced palette.

Third Row - Pop, Harajuku, Danger, 1987, Blackout

To be honest, the three brighter shades, I wouldn't wear in my every day life. I'm sure some people would and it would look great but for me, golds and bronzes rule my go-to looks. However, I DO like that they're there - I don't have shades like these in any of my other palettes and once festival season comes around, I might be tempted in to some shocking pink or royal blue, just to keep up with the vibrancy of festival life.

Overall, I am very happy with this product and it has definitely found a little niche for itself in my collection. It's endlessly versatile whilst still being compact and good quality. Plus, it's so beautiful, when it's used up I'm going to have it displayed as artwork.

As always, thanks for joining me. Leave me a comment, I always love reading your thoughts!


You Might Also Like

2 comments