L'Oreal Infallible Total Cover | Review

Wednesday, May 03, 2017



A new launch by L'Oreal is always big news in the world of beauty; an addition to their infallible range is even more pleasing as they don't seem to have put a foot wrong yet with their infallible face products (the setting spray, powder and foundation are all solid offerings). With an admittedly lengthy name, the Total Cover Full Coverage Longwear Concealer Palette is now here, but, how do it's claims stack up and does anybody really need a five pan concealer palette?

Concept-wise, I was skeptical. Palettes in general are losing their allure (which was primarily of value and choice) and I am certainly favouring a more carefully selected make up collection over a stack of unopened palettes. Thankfully, this one is just about on this side of sensible in terms of size and packaging, with a decent amount of product included over a mirror or superfluous applicators.

The first three shades are your concealer shades - realistically you will only use the one closest to your skin tone and that's assuming you fall in to this limited shade range. The lightest shade is bordering on too dark for me and yet the darkest shade isn't really dark at all. Come on L'Oreal, you're better than this.


A purple/lilac shade for dark circles and veins comes next - I do think this helps to brighten the under eye although I had always understood a salmon/peach colour to be key here. I can only assume this is make up homeopathy - to eliminate purple you must add purple? Finally, a classic green corrector, a saviour to those plagued by redness, breakouts or rosacea.

The consistency is even across all the shades - thick and opaque without being chalky and a slight silicone texture which gives it some slip. This definitely is to be used under foundation though, as a corrector would, even the concealer shades; if you try layering these on top of foundation it's a bad scene. I use the green and the lightest shade in a similar way to a primer, targeting particular areas prone to redness or oiliness to prolong the wear time of my base make up.

As a corrector and as a primer, it really does work for me. I have, in times of desperation, used a MAC paint pot to prime my nose and chin to help combat redness and keep foundation from wearing off instantly. The effect is similar but the consistency and finish of the Total Cover palette is infinitely better and less heavy.

It is an extra step though, one that I generally don't have time for, passed up in favour of some strategic powdering, priming and looking like I've been rubbing extra coarse sandpaper on my face by 5pm.

For £12.99, I don't regret the purchase and it will be employed on long days and leisurely mornings. If you are similarly afflicted by redness and the shade range works for you, I can't help but recommend the formula. As for whether you've room in your life for another palette, that's your call.

You Might Also Like

0 comments