MUR Fortune Favours The Brave Palette - Review + Swatches!

Sunday, August 14, 2016


Welcome back everyone. Today, I am beyond excited to write about this product - the Fortune Favours The Brave eyeshadow palette from Make Up Revolution. I saw a photo of this and there was just an instant reaction of 'I HAVE TO HAVE IT'. Instagramable is not the word.

This palette has 30 shadows, a big mirror and a double sided brush. The packaging does feel cheap on the outside; not as cheap as other MUR products but not quite up to Sleek's new releases, which show a luxury feel can be achieved even on a budget. The inside is so ridiculously beautiful I can't stand it, glossy black and gold, my Achilles heel of packaging.


I'll get my thoughts on the brush out of way shall I? It's awful, as every brush I've ever got with a product has been. If you need budget brushes, e.l.f is your friend (see my e.l.f brush review here).

So, on to the best part, the shadows themselves. A mix of finishes here - matte, shimmer and some I would call metallic/foiled. The first thing that strikes me as that some of the shadows have a marbled effect in the pan so I was interested to see how this translates. You also get a range of colours - you have purples, greens, blues, golds, even pinks. There isn't a lot in way of warm shades - the matte transition shades are all on the cool side - a real shame for me as I am loving a warm eye look. Even I am not immune to the Kylie Jenner effect.

My first drawback is the size of the pans - they're not easy to work with but obviously, if you pay £9.99 for 30 shadows, there are sacrifices to be made.

Top Row: - Glimmer, Buffer, Peachy, Hope, Fortune, Skylight,
 Transformer, Midnight Rainbow
As I expected, the quality and pigment is very varied - the matte shades are especially poor, no colour pay off whatsoever and a very stiff formula. You will see this from the swatches, Glimmer, Buffer, Peachy, Tip Top, Latte, Cream and Soft - may as well not have been in the palette. Harsh, but true.

Second Row: - Ice Cloud, Golden Coins, Cashmere, Tip Top, Yes Please,
Green Machine, Smoothie
This palette redeems itself with the metallics, for sure. My absolute favourites are Favour, Sunset Hour and Super Gold - in fact the whole bottom row stands out to me in terms of quality barring Soft. These three could be from Make Up Geek or MAC they are so buttery and pigmented.

Third Row: - Caffeine Fix, Latte, Pink Diamond, Creme, Drama Queen,
 Lonely Planet, Blacque
The remaining shades are so-so - some okay pigmentation and blendability. The marbled shades are interesting - Skylight is very unique being a true royal blue with gold reflects. However, I'd pick a Make Up Geek Duochrome given the choice, there's just not enough wow factor here.

Bottom Row: - Soft, New World, Favour, Sunset Hour, Super Gold, Winning,
Brave, The Revolution
These shadows kick up a lot of fall out - I think this single-handedly makes the case for eyes before base! I feel like you need a degree of skill to work with this palette, it is not fool proof - it needs blending, patience and a steady hand.

That all said, I don't regret the purchase. The bottom row saves it from disappearing in to my stack of palettes, never to be seen again. It does all over lid shades very well and in a quality to rival my high end palettes. However, it does not stand alone - you need to pull in transition shades from elsewhere as the ones here are unusable. It's by no means a must-have, but it is a bargain for the handful of top quality shadows.

What are your thoughts? Is there a high street palette out there which does it all?

x NSB x








You Might Also Like

0 comments