Well Loved | Highlighter Staples

Saturday, January 21, 2017


I have been on the waiting list for the Jouer Citrine Highlighter for what feels like about 25 years. If I ever actually get my hands on it I will be using it liberally, everyday, on every part of my body, until I have enjoyed every last speck of powder. In the meantime, I thought I would share my most used highlighters before the inevitable obsession happens...

Make Up Revolution Hidden Lights
This is simultaneously my favourite highlighter and the biggest annoyance because it was limited edition for Christmas 2015 and I can't repurchase it. It is a beautifully smooth, true gold - no micro-glitter, no chunks. It has a warmth which champagne gold highlighters just don't have and I think it is so flattering. I just have to hope and pray that MUR bring it back someday.

Make Up Revolution Golden Lights
They do have another offering - Golden Lights is not limited edition and has been a blogger favorite since it launched. This is definitely the lighter, icier gold of the two and much more intense and glittery. That's not to say I don't enjoy it - it's just less of a daytime highlight for me whereas Hidden Lights I think has such warmth that it doesn't jar with the daylight. This is my choice for a glamorous, bold highlight.



MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Lightscapade
In hindsight, I don't know what made me choose this over the classic that is Soft and Gentle. I wasn't disappointed though. For starters, the pastel rainbow swirl is mesmerising but more importantly, this is an amazing daytime highlighter for pale skin. If you want a blinding highlight all day, everyday, then more power to you. I do sometimes prefer a much softer effect though and this is exactly that - just a subtle, cool glow which I think pairs gorgeously with a plum or mauve toned blush. This is for the days where I don't fight the paleness.

Sleek Make Up Contour Kit Light
This is my 'summer' highlight. I realise that summer in the UK lasts for all of 4 days in the middle of June but that doesn't stop me dressing and acting as if I'm in Southern Spain for 6 months of the year. Yes, the woman wearing sunglasses and stoically sitting outside a pub in mid-October is me. The highlight in this duo is very peachy gold which I find flatters sunkissed skin. Formula-wise this is very similar to The Balm Lou-manizers but for just £7.

NYX Baked Eyeshadow Easy Rider
I am absolutely of the opinion that products can be used for whatever you see fit, not just what it says on the box. These eyeshadows from NYX I didn't find had enough intense pigment to be packed on the lid but they are perfect highlighters. This yellow based shade has the same smooth glow as Hidden Lights and really does give the skin a candlelit effect which builds up well for a strong highlight but can also be dusted all over the face brings warmth and radiance. 

What are your well loved highlighters? Have you managed to get your hands on a Jouer highlighter? Is it everything you dreamed of? Let me know in the comments.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I really don't think I have tried enough highlighters, I need to jump on the bandwagon and try some of these.

    Beth xx | MissCosmeticBlogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones from Make Up Revolution are really affordable for trying out - there are loads more I love, I have a problem!

      Rebecca | NSB xoxo

      Delete