Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid vs. Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet | Showdown

Wednesday, January 11, 2017


Matte lips are my jam, that's no secret, they're probably yours if you're reading this. I own many, many matte lipsticks, liquid lipsticks, matte lip creams and matte lip crayons - the majority of which are high end and edging towards £20 a piece. My bank balance is willing me to find a cheaper alternative, so, I've been testing out Maybelline's and Bourjois's offerings like a true make up researcher.

The Rules
A nude and a red from each range is put to the test for at least a full day. No lip liners, lip primers or other make up sorcery.

The Products
Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid in Nude Thrill & Orange Shot.
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Cool Brown & Red-volution.

The Packaging
I much prefer the Maybelline packaging - very clean, crisp and shows off the product colour - reminiscent of the Jouer Liquid Lipstick packaging and feels higher quality.

The Formula
Now this is what you call a total mixed bag! Nude Thrill is beautifully smooth and pigmented whilst Orange Shot is patchy even when layered up. Red-volution takes a little work to get there but you can achieve a really even finish. Cool Brown is the bottom of the pile - it is strangely watery with very little colour pay off. They all have a whipped, mousse-y texture and fairly generic sweet cosmetic scents.


The Finish
Both Maybelline products I would describe as a demi-matte finish - they don't dry down at all. This makes them very hydrating but very transferable! Nude Thrill in particular has a smooth, almost plumping, finish on the lips. The Rouge Edition Velvets do dry down to a matte finish so naturally are less comfortable on the lips. 

The Application
Both have doe foot applicators however I much prefer the flat paddle style of the Maybelline over the regular doe foot of the Bourjois - I find them much easier to work with and get a precise edge. You can get some extra wear time and a more matte finish from the Vivid Mattes by layering and blotting off the excess a few times. Cool Brown barely shows up on my lips at all but Red-volution can be built up to a really intense vampy red.

The Staying Power
You can get around 4 hours from the Vivid Mattes before you need to re-apply - they do fade to a stain rather than crumbling or patching off which means they never look too haggard. As these ones don't dry down you will definitely need to re-apply after eating and your coffee cup will be sporting the same lip look as you. The Rouge Edition Velvet is more long-wearing (discounting Cool Brown as a bad egg at this point) and you can get around 6 hours with careful eating and drinking. Any fading or patching can be easily touched up with Red-volution.

The Winner?
Orange Shot is middling formula-wise and is absolutely NOT my colour. Cool Brown I truly hope I just got a bad batch because I love Bourjois and other shades from this range are much more pigmented and creamy. It's a close run between Nude Thrill and Red-volution - very flattering shades and I reach for them both regularly. The packaging, paddle applicator and the price (£6.99 vs £8.99 for the Bourjois) means that Maybelline Nude Thrill just shades it for me.But as always, let me know what you think are the best drugstore matte lips.

You Might Also Like

0 comments